UPDATED 3rd JUNE 2020
At Victrex, the safety, health and well-being of all our employees is the highest priority. We established a COVID-19 committee at the start of 2020 and are taking appropriate precautions and being proactive in our approach.
Chemicals as an essential industry
The UK government defines Chemicals as an essential industry with essential workers, with Victrex also having a long-standing history in supporting many critical and “life-sustaining” applications, particularly in Medical. In the US, we continue to operate on an ongoing modified basis, defined as being a ‘life-sustaining’ organisation in several states. Overall, our supply chain continues to function effectively.
Approximately two-thirds of our global employees are homeworking, where we have taken measures to reduce staffing levels to only business-critical employees and those essential to running our plants and shipping products.
Return to work preparation
During April we reopened our AITC offices in China (Shanghai), with phased or limited re-openings in Korea and Germany. We are also in the phase of planning phased or limited return to work for some employees in our other regions, including the UK and US. Our guiding principle is that our employees who are homeworking should continue to work from home where possible. Victrex continues to function very effectively and we fully risk assess any phased return to work offices before the full implementation of appropriate measures, which are only in consultation and approval through our COVID-19 committee.
Overall our employees, including those customer-facing, remain contactable as normal by phone and email in home offices, ready to serve customers. In parts of Asia we are able to arrange face to face customer meetings but only based on a full risk assessment and with appropriate guidelines and control procedures before any meeting takes place.
Our raw material and finished goods stocks remain appropriate at the current time for our customers, with global warehouses able to supplement our production.
• Victrex will continue to produce, in line with UK government guidance where Chemicals is defined as an essential industry
• Production will be aligned to demand, supplemented by stock in global warehouses as appropriate
• In the US, we are continuing modified operations
• We are safeguarding production and our supply chain by asking staff to work from home and reducing staffing levels to only business-critical employees and those essential to running our plants and shipping products, or key development work, or by segregating members of our operations and supply chain team accordingly
• Our employees, including those customer-facing, remain contactable as normal by phone and email in home offices, ready to serve customers
• We recently reopened our AITC offices in China (Shanghai) and have developed, or are developing plans for a phased return to work for a limited number of employees (for example some within R&D) in our other regions although our guiding principle is that employees who are homeworking should continue to work from home where possible