VICOTE™ 701, 702, 703, 704, 705 Powder Coatings
VICOTE™ is the brand name for VICTREX™ PEEK polymer-based coatings. VICOTE Coatings are only available through Victrex or its preferred coater network. Contact Victrex for further details.
VICOTE 701-705 grades are specially developed powder coatings. They are available in various average particle sizes from 10 - 50 microns. The powders are off-white in color and are available in various melt viscosities depending on the film thickness and level of melt flow required. Typical film thicknesses range from < 100 microns up to 500 microns. Film thicknesses above 1 mm are possible by building up the coating thickness by the hot flocking technique.
Like other non-coating grades of VICTREX PEEK polymer, VICOTE Coatings are thermoplastic in nature and exhibit flow above the melt temperature. When processed using the correct guidelines, the coatings will exhibit the excellent properties that VICTREX PEEK polymer is renowned for.
- High continuous use temperature of 260°C
- Excellent wear, abrasion and cut through resistance at these high temperatures
- Excellent chemical and radiation resistance
- Low level of extractables
- Inherently flame retardant
Materials and articles manufactured from VICOTE grades 701, 702, 703, 704, 705 comply with the compositional requirements of regulation 21 CFR 175.300 for resinous and polymeric coatings of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of the United States of America.
Regulation 21 CFR 175.300 further specifies that the finished coated part which is in contact with food is subject to extractive limitations. Compliance with any applicable extractive limits can only be demonstrated by testing carried out on the finished article.
SUBSTRATES AND PREPARATION
VICOTE coatings can be applied to most ferrous and non-ferrous metals. A primer is not required.
- Cast metals need to be de-gassed in an oven to prevent pin holes in the coating surface. Aluminium may be coated. However, the mechanical properties of the Aluminium will be affected at VICOTE coatings processing temperatures.
- Substrates should be free from grease, oils and corrosion prior to coating. Solvent degreasing and grit blasting with Aluminium Oxide with final solvent wash should ensure a suitable surface for coating.
Note: phosphate pretreated substrates are not recommended for VICOTE coating grades as the high processing temperatures required for processing can result in delamination of the coating.
Conventional electrostatic spray equipment is suitable for VICOTE coating products. Ovens should be capable of attaining up to 450°C. For general processing information consult the VICOTE powder coating guide.
- By following the processing guide, smooth coatings should be achievable. VICOTE materials are semi-crystalline thermoplastics, and as with all these types of products, shrinkage will take place when the coating cools. Depending on the mass of the substrate, coating thickness and rate of cooling will determine the amount of shrinkage.
- Normally processed and cooled coatings should result in crystalline coatings, which should not require further post processing treatment. However, an increase in crystallinity may enhance certain properties such as wear and scratch resistance. To anneal the coating, the part should be placed in an air circulating oven and the temperature raised at 10°C per minute to 250°C and held at that temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- With coated parts that are subject to a high service temperature, it may be beneficial to anneal the parts at 10°C above the maximum service temperature to prevent further volume change of the coating.
Note: The colour of the final coating when using VICOTE 700 series natural resins may depend on the substrate. For example, if a thin VICOTE Coating is applied, the processing temperatures will turn some steels blue and may impart a blue/grey colour to the final VICOTE Coating.
STORAGE AND HANDLING CONSIDERATIONS
- VICOTE boxes should be stored in a clean dry environment and should not be stored with the lids and internal liner opened as this may result in airborne dust contaminating the product, which could cause coating defects.
- VICOTE Powder Coatings are packed in 10kg strong cardboard boxes with the VICOTE logo on the outside. Smaller quantities are available on request.
- The powders have an indefinite storage life if the powder is kept sealed in its original box.
- Drying the powders at 150°C for 3 hours or 120°C overnight is recommended before use.
- Before applying VICOTE Powder Coatings, read the appropriate Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) and the processing guide, available from Victrex.
- VICOTE natural coating resins should only be applied using suitable local exhaust ventilation system.
- Care should be taken not to inhale dust, vapors and fumes evolved during processing.
- VICOTE Coatings must only be applied and processed where Local Extract Ventilation (LEV) is available.
- Washing of hands and good housekeeping are a prerequisite before handling these products.
Note: these products are not for human implantation.